According to the Center for Disease Control, it is estimated that poisoning from chemicals used in household products have reached to around eighty-seven cases annually. Majority of these chemicals came from products used for cleaning. Since kids have lower level of protection, they are more vulnerable to toxic residues and fumes that come from cleaning agents. Apart from making sure that these cleaning products are beyond the reach of children, it becomes more important to look for alternatives that are more child and ecologically friendly. This means using cleaning agents which do not contain any trace of VOC and petrochemicals which can affect the quality of the indoor air.
- Surface cleaners which do not contain ammonia. Most traditional surface cleaners contain the combination of solvents with ammonia and alcohol which can cause lung and skin allergies, especially for kids who are always exposed to the fumes. Choose a plant-based surface cleaner instead which can do the job of polishing shiny surfaces but do not contain any types of harmful substances.
- Bleach-free bathroom products. In our aim to have a clean, spotless bathroom, we tend to choose products which containing bleaching and acidic components which can be toxic for our kids. Bathroom cleaners are in fact considered as the main culprits of chemical poisoning every year. Instead of such bathroom and kitchen cleaning agents, purchase cleaning products with hydrogen peroxide which have powerful cleaning capacities but do not contain bleach. Hydrogen peroxide is also known as an effective substance in eliminating traces of salmonella and E.coli. Just apply it directed to the molds and watch these grimy components dissolved.
- Use vinegar for cleaning stains. Vinegar is actually one of the main ingredients in cleaning products and you can use this organically to remove any stains on your countertops and glass surfaces. Just combine one part vinegar with three parts water and you have a powerful agent that will minimize or eliminate any stains on any surfaces, except for marble.
- Remove the grease off your kitchen fixtures with the use of baking soda. Baking soda paste which is basically a combination of baking soda and water is an effective way to remove oil greases that have accumulated in your kitchen sink. The best thing with baking soda is that it does not contain any chemical and fumes that can be dangerous when inhaled by your kids.
- Lemon juice as a natural cleaning agent. Lemon juice contains natural bleaching components which can help in eliminating even the most stubborn of stains. You can also mix lemon juice with a bit of baking soda and you already have a powerful kitchen and bathroom cleaner. Lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide are also strong agents which are relevant in making your white clothes even whiter and radiant.
When it comes to cleaning agents, choose the more organic and natural way with your approach. Aside from their efficacy, they also cost less compared to the high prices of traditional cleaning agents,